Dr. Walid A. Houry, PhD
- Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA (July, 2016 – current).
- Professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA (July, 2010 – current).
- Associate professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA (July, 2005 – June, 2010).
- Assistant professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA (April, 2000 – June, 2005).
- Post-doctoral fellow of the Max-Planck-Institute for Biochemistry with Dr. F. Ulrich Hartl in Martinsried, Germany (June 1997 – March 2000).
- Post-doctoral fellow of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute at Sloan-Kettering Institute with Dr. F. Ulrich Hartl in New York City, USA (June 1996 – May 1997).
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Cornell University (Ithaca, NY), May 1996. Advisor: Dr. Harold Scheraga
- M.S. Chemistry, Cornell University (Ithaca, NY), August 1991. Advisor: Dr. Harold Scheraga, Major: Biophysical Chemistry, Minor: Theoretical Chemistry
- B.S. Chemistry with High Distinction, American University of Beirut (Beirut, Lebanon), August 1990.
- OIC-COMSTECH Distinguished Scholar, Pakistan (November, 2022)
- Invited full member of the Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honor Society (May, 2021)
- F1Connect (previously F1000Prime) Faculty Member (August, 2018)
- Visiting Scientist Award: National Research Foundation of South Africa (December, 2015)
- Tokyo Biochemical Research Foundation Award (November, 2011)
- Canada Foundation for Innovation Leaders Opportunity Fund (July, 2009 – June , 2010)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research New Investigator (July, 2001 – June, 2006)
- Premier’s Research Excellence Award (January, 2002 – December, 2004)
- Fellow of the Max-Planck-Institute (June, 1997 – March, 2000)
- Fellow of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (June, 1996 – May, 1997)
- Tunis Wentink Award for outstanding graduate student (April, 1996)
- Franz Roessler graduate fellowship (Fall, 1993 & Spring, 1994)
- Howard Neal Wachter Memorial Prize for outstanding work in Physical Chemistry (April, 1992)
- Member of Phi Lambda Upsilon Honorary Chemical Society (1992)
- Dean’s Honor List at the American University of Beirut (1987 – 1990)
- Fluent in Arabic
- Some knowledge of French
- Some knowledge of German